16 September 2012

An Update on the 12 Litre Lucky Bamboo Aquarium

My second tech-free aquarium now has been running for about two weeks. During this period, green algae grew rapidly and soon had covered the sand and some of the plants. Due to this, I had to remove the java moss from the tank. Most of the algae have disappeared by now, though.
Unfortunately, the offshoots of umbrella papyrus did not grow well. I guess, the water level is too high for them. I decided to filter the tank by lucky bamboo exclusively, and added two more branches of it.

12 litre tank filtered by Dracaena sanderiana ('lucky bamboo').

At least two of the three branches appear to grow roots, and I hope the third one will follow soon. I will monitor the nitrate levels in the tank in order to find out whether lucky bamboo can filter the water on its own.

Root formation by Dracaena sanderiana.
Of all plants I have put inside at the beginning, only Myriophyllum spicatum and Potamogeton lucens were able to grow, the others rotted (which is why I removed them) or simply stagnated in growth. I will now try to propagate especially the Myriophyllum spicatum, what will give the aquarium a more homogeneous look.

Myriophyllum spicatum (left) and Potamogeton lucens (centre) growing in the lucky bamboo tank.
 As with my first window ledge-aquarium, also here I could observe little copepods a few days after setting up the tank. I introduced four little, juvenile Poecilia wingei (Endler's guppy), born in the tank in my office. I could not see them actively preying on the copepods, but their numbers diminish.

No comments:

Post a Comment